January 19, 2018, 01:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How do you find the 'Da Vinci Code' movie?
It sucks big time! Dan Brown should be crucified with Jesus H. Christ! - 2 (28.6%)
It's fantastic! I love it! I love Tom Hanks' hair! It's the rage! - 2 (28.6%)
Did Leonardo write code? If so, what computer language? - 3 (42.9%)
ARRRGH! No spoilers! You guys are ruining it for me! I haven't watched it! - 0 (0%)
Can I have cheese with it please? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Da Vinci Code...  (Read 14576 times)
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 11:54:08 PM »

I just ordered the book Holy Blood Holy Grail

Shyue Chou, did you once said this was a better (and more original) book than Dan Brown's?

And thanks for coming, Weng. Smiley

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
shyuechou
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 12:12:21 AM »

I can't say better. It's a book written over twenty years ago about Jesus and his kin.

It was a bestseller then.

I haven't read it but Wei Yi did years ago before this Da Vinci Code thing.

Personally, I am not interested in Jesus books, be it the bible, Jesus is an alien, Jesus has kids, whatever. I leave that to the Pat Robertsons and others.  Smiley
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »

I can't say better. It's a book written over twenty years ago about Jesus and his kin.

It was a bestseller then.

I haven't read it but Wei Yi did years ago before this Da Vinci Code thing.

Personally, I am not interested in Jesus books, be it the bible, Jesus is an alien, Jesus has kids, whatever. I leave that to the Pat Robertsons and others.  Smiley

Pat Robertsons? Isn't that clown the fellow who said that they should assassinate Chavez?

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
shyuechou
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 12:14:50 AM »

Well, he did say that he can divert a hurricane through Jesus.

I think there are churches here that are affiliated with his organisation.  Smiley I don't know really.
Pip
ROM
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 12:43:28 AM »

Just remembered something else about the show.

Tom Hanks with his new hair looks like a dork and Ian McKellen (Gandalf) stole the show as Teabing.

So I intend to balance that by watching X men III where Ian Mckellen can look like a dork all by himself (with his Magneto Helmet on).
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 12:51:44 AM »

Just remembered something else about the show.

Tom Hanks with his new hair looks like a dork and Ian McKellen (Gandalf) stole the show as Teabing.

So I intend to balance that by watching X men III where Ian Mckellen can look like a dork all by himself (with his Magneto Helmet on).

Magneto and his dorky helmet... from X-Men II.  Smiley

It is a little hard to reconcile their different roles sometimes. You know... Hugo Weavind as Agent Smith and that elf guy, and the Christopher Lee as Darth Tyrannus (Count Dooku) and Saruman.

But all that can't beat 黄秋生!!  Can you imagine him as a pervert in 人肉叉烧包 (Human Meat Char Siew Bao) in one and then 剑圣 (Saint of the Swords) in another?!

---

Anyway, if Jesus is a man then whether he has descendants or not doesn't matter to non-believers even though it might be a mighty big deal to Christians. Reason is simple, was anyone interested in the descendants of Moses?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:56:16 AM by xizor2000 » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Leopold_Bloom
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 05:34:53 AM »

I am actually far more interested in the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Thomas and other gnostic texts than I am interested in Jesus' bloodline.

The "cover up" by the Church I understand is not about the mortality of Jesus, nor is it about the bloodline of Jesus. Instead, the "cover up" is of the gnostic beliefs which were apparently taught by Jesus that were obviated by the First Council of Nicaea in AD325 (click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea) where a whole bunch of diverse interpretations of Jesus were dismissed in favour of Mark, Matthew Luke and John.

My interest in this began since I read Tom Paine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Reason), and since then I have been actively reading on alternative interpretations of Jesus. I also gave up my service as an altar boy in St. Andrews Cathedral. Dan Browns book to me is just another way of looking at the cover up, but its final message is quite true; those who do discover the cover up seldom bother to make it known because, although faith is blind, faith gives hope.

B          E         L       I        E          V          E
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 05:52:26 AM »

I am actually far more interested in the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Thomas and other gnostic texts than I am interested in Jesus' bloodline.

The "cover up" by the Church I understand is not about the mortality of Jesus, nor is it about the bloodline of Jesus. Instead, the "cover up" is of the gnostic beliefs which were apparently taught by Jesus that were obviated by the First Council of Nicaea in AD325 (click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea) where a whole bunch of diverse interpretations of Jesus were dismissed in favour of Mark, Matthew Luke and John.

My interest in this began since I read Tom Paine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Reason), and since then I have been actively reading on alternative interpretations of Jesus. I also gave up my service as an altar boy in St. Andrews Cathedral. Dan Browns book to me is just another way of looking at the cover up, but its final message is quite true; those who do discover the cover up seldom bother to make it known because, although faith is blind, faith gives hope.

That appears to be the same idea suggested in the book 'The Last Templar' too.

It seems to suggest that if you do discover that Christianity as we know it today is a load of bull, you probably shouldn't go about telling it to everyone just how fake it is for the reason you have mentioned above: Faith gives hope.

I personally think that it would be quite an asshole of a person to go and bust up someone's faith, when he has built his entire life around it and have lived as a useful entity to society based on those beliefs. (That probably explains why some people gets really fed-up when Christians or whatever starts telling them the 'falsehood' of their beliefs.)

Furthermore, even though Christians are far milder, even the fanatical ones, I don't want to be killed by fanatics and zealots, or have a parcel which will explode in my face sent to my premises.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Renegade Anarchist
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 02:56:51 PM »

those who do discover the cover up seldom bother to make it known because, although faith is blind, faith gives hope.

I had a Sociology professor who described christianity as being an incorrigible proposition, lol.
Zangetsu
Initiate

Soul Slayer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 11:27:20 AM »

What about the book? nice?
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 11:37:12 AM »

What about the book? nice?

Da Vinci Code?

There's some glaring errors here and there but it's an alright read. I would however suggest 'Angels and Demons' instead. It's also from Dan Brown about Robert Langdon, and it's a better book, in my opinion.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »

The ultimate conspiracy theory book?

Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco.

Once you read it, it puts the DaVinci Code all into perspective.
timsum
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »

why hah?
AnthonyLim
Initiate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 01:51:39 AM »

Focault's Pendulum sits a little uneasily in this group - it's not -exactly- a conspiracy novel. More like a meta-conspiracy novel. More accurately, it is a novel explaining the futility of conspiracies. It may also be a wag-of-the-finger against post-modernism and Focault's teachings.

As I understand it, Focault's Pendulum involves a made-up conspiracy gaining relevancy both through it's tenuous links through the "original conspiracy" as well as the various schisms that inevitably occur when conspiracy theorists and players become paranoid and read too much into the absence of evidence.

Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 05:22:15 AM »

It MAY, eh? Just MAY, huh?

It's very simple. Read the book, understand how The Plan was created and see what happens when people fit the evidence to what they already believe. Also read the pre-figuring bit about the Gospels.

But sorry, there's no substitute for reading it yourself, so no synopsis really suffices.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: