January 19, 2018, 10:56:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local record labels see red despite increase in legal music  (Read 2775 times)
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:49:54 AM »

I am amazed that they haven't found a better way to distribute and sell music and stop overpaying some over-rated artists.

They really need to stop whining. Stop making technology illegal simply because it makes their business model obsolete. If you can't compete, you simply can't compete and it's not really the fault of technology.

Local record labels see red despite increase in legal music downloads
 By Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 27 December 2006 1258 hrs

Local record companies say cheaper parallel CD imports from China are hurting the music industry far more than illegal downloads.

These CDs can cost less than S$10 each, half the price of those manufactured locally, which usually hover around the S$20 mark.

Gary See, Managing Director, Universal Music Singapore, says: "We've done a lot of lobbying with the government telling them the impact of parallel imports, how it will hurt the business in Singapore, for record labels, for the vendors and for the industry itself.

"Basically they have told us they will not sanction parallel imports. They want fair competition. But we ask, 'what is fair competition? We invested so much to set up office here, give employment to Singaporeans here but the thing is, we have to basically survive on making a profit here and not making losses."

The Ministry of Trade and Industry says that it maintains an open trade policy on parallel imports to ensure that Singaporean consumers have quick and ready access to a wide range of product choices.

It also says other significant factors play a part such as the shift in consumer preferences from audio CDs towards digital and online music.

The ministry says it will not serve any purpose to impose sanctions on parallel import CDs in the short run and that the record industry has to take into account the challenges it faces from changing industry trends and developments such as the growth of online music sales.

Universal Music, which says it has seen a 30 percent drop in CD sales in the first quarter of the year, agrees that the online revolution will help record labels.

But there's still a long way to go.

"I'm telling you, I'm generally collecting less than S$2,000 a month from downloads from Soundbuzz," says Mr See. Soundbuzz is a major digital music vendor in Asia, Australia.

To lower costs, the label is manufacturing and selling cheaper CDs with less frills and fewer pages in the album sleeves.

It also hopes to increase its profits by developing homegrown artistes.

"One example is Singapore Idol, Taufik. 30,000 units. No imported products from that area. Project Superstar, Kelly Poon. We release also more than 12,000 units. No China import."

So is there light at the end of the tunnel or are we seeing the beginning of the end for record labels here?

"If all this fails, I can tell you there'll be no music industry in Singapore, no local artists, no more concerts. End of story," Mr See asserts.

On a positive note, Universal Music says it is seeing initial sales of its Special Edition CDs showing good promise.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
SanNiang
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

-- 秀才遇到 PIG --

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 02:56:50 AM »

I wonder what kind of World CLass will the LEE and lee call this this time ?? World's Class Losers?

"If all this fails, I can tell you there'll be no music industry in Singapore, no local artists, no more concerts. End of story," Mr See asserts.

[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: