January 21, 2018, 03:00:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Worse Class' Transport  (Read 39989 times)
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 10:52:27 PM »

It's a world class transport system. A world class 'fxxked up' transport system that is.

Don't tell me how bad the China or what Wikiwakiki ones is. I don't use them often and I don't give a flying damn.

Buses should have a timetable and stick to it
April 17, 2007

I THINK our Singapore bus operators have lost sight of their main objective as a public transport operator.

On April 12, I spent 30 minutes fuming at the bus stop in Raffles City because the first bus that arrived after a 20-minute wait did not even stop.

I was so ticked off that I ran after the bus and hurled an expletive. I waited for another 15 minutes before giving up and finally took a taxi to work.

I take a bus to ensure the following:

The pick-up

1. When I take a bus, it should arrive at the bus stop I am at to pick me up at the time it should come.

The journey

2. It doesn't have to be extremely pleasant. I don't mind not having scenery to look at or shaky TV mobile programmes just so long as the journey takes the amount of time it's supposed to take without accident.

The drop-off

3. It should drop me off at the bus stop within a determined and reasonable time from when I first boarded it.

Sounds simple, right?

But, nearly everyday I read reports of buses and trains that leave their passengers waiting, and waiting and waiting. Why do we take public transport if we can't even get past step No.1?

The reason why people complain so much about bus timing is that we really don't know when the bus will arrive.

You are not quite sure if you had missed the earlier bus or when the next bus will come along.

A suggestion: Give us timetables. If there were timetables, we will know if it was our fault for missing the bus, or if the bus was late.

Furthermore, we will know how to plan our journey, what time to reach the bus stop to catch the bus, what time the bus will come, and, finally, what time the bus will reach our desired destination.

So where are we now? We have TVs, air-conditioning and pretty decor adverts on our buses. But no punctuality, predictability or timetables. This doesn't make sense, does it?

Wilgie Wong (Ms)

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
SanNiang
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

-- 秀才遇到 PIG --

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 06:52:05 AM »

Well to be exact, we are now at the place / era that the ... errr...  the best talents are too well paid and no no longer (ever before? ever after?) need to take a bus, so they dun care nor know.

They only know that what you've got is more or less comparable to some place else where, and your more or less are picked up and delivered to the place u desired in more or less 1-5 trips of bus/train switching with more or less 10-20min walking time.

Its neither too long a journey too as you more or less spend the same time from your home to your work much like a people that takes buses/trains in London / Shanghai / New Yoke.

Its more or less a world class system ... that's "you pay more or you get even  less" ^^

So where are we now? We have TVs, air-conditioning and pretty decor adverts on our buses. But no punctuality, predictability or timetables. This doesn't make sense, does it?

Wilgie Wong (Ms)[/size]
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:46 AM »

Nonsense.

The true solution would be to spin off each component of these companies. Taxi companies should run cabs only. And best still, MRT be just the MRT and buses just buses.

In that way, if the taxi companies losses money then it won't end up being the justification for companies to raise fares, with a majority of public transport users ended up paying more to the transport company for those who paid for a premium service!!

Benefits of an SMRT-ComfortDelGro merger
April 27, 2007

I REFER to the proposal by Mr Lim Jit Poh, the chairman of ComfortDelGro, to restructure the public transport industry (ST, April 20).

Having been a cabby for both SMRT and now ComfortDelGro (though driving once a week now), I can comment in good conscience the advantages of a merger of both companies into a single public transport entity, in particular to the taxi industry.

Firstly, there will a holistic taxi solution to the taxi woes which public members have been perenially complaining about.

Secondly, there will be synergistic benefits to both companies. These benefits can translate to passengers in terms of lower cost and a shorter waiting time for a cab.

With a merger, SMRT's taxis - now numbering about 3,000 - will benefit from ComfortDelGro's heavy investment on advanced and latest technology over the years.

Thirdly, with a merger, the combined fuel-refilling depots island-wide can be easily accessible by this single taxi fleet, saving much travelling time and fuel. This is beneficial to cabbies and commuters as it means more taxis can be on call or on the road at any one time.

Fourthly, with full integration there will be a reorganisation of administrative work and workshop service centres and staff. Many redundant jobs can be streamlined, thereby saving costs and manpower.

Last but not the least, with this revamp and having a fleet of about 19,700 cabs, (16,700 from Comfort and 3,000 from SMRT) and commanding about 95 per cent market share of the taxi industry, a world-class standard is achieveable.

Raymond Lo Wan Mou

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »

Did I not seem to recall that the last round this happened, they said they had the contractor or whatever checked all the power connectors and they were found to be in good order?

Power outage halts NEL services
A dislodged power connector between train and track halted services on the North East Line (NEL) for more than 90 minutes on Friday night.

The incident caused a power trip at 8.46pm and cut off the electricity between Dhoby Ghaut and HarbourFront stations.

This is the second time in a year the NEL's power supply failed, although this delay was not as long as the seven-hour disruption last July.

SBS Transit deployed 23 shuttle buses for commuters and resumed all train services at 10.21pm, albeit using one side of the tracks.

A dislodged power connector between train and track halted services on the North East Line (NEL) for more than 90 minutes on Friday night.

The incident caused a power trip at 8.46pm and cut off the electricity between Dhoby Ghaut and HarbourFront stations.

This is the second time in a year the NEL's power supply failed, although this delay was not as long as the seven-hour disruption last July.

SBS Transit deployed 23 shuttle buses for commuters and resumed all train services at 10.21pm, albeit using one side of the tracks.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
SanNiang
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

-- 秀才遇到 PIG --

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »

They are in good order mah .. .only down for 90min right? They will tell you 90min is better than many other cities' train system le .....

Did I not seem to recall that the last round this happened, they said they had the contractor or whatever checked all the power connectors and they were found to be in good order?

Power outage halts NEL services

dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2007, 10:42:59 AM »

It is really world class, actually.

A class in a world of its own, that is.

Flagging confidence in local buses, taxis - Flaws in other forms of public transport threaten to derail progress made by trains
Letter from Jason Chiam

I APPLAUD the Ministry of Transport's move to proceed with the downtown line. It is timely as the new network will cut travelling time significantly for commuters.

As the country moves towards the 6.5 million population target, a faster and more efficient system of moving the masses around is a real need. With space a luxury in Singapore, which is working towards becoming a greener city, such a move could greatly reduce the need for car ownership in Singapore.

However, I am wondering if the ministry or the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has considered improvements in other forms of public transport

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »

The other thing to improve... the stupid MRT ticketing system...

The need to pay a deposit to buy, and then to return the single-trip fare ticket after use for the refund is one of the most ridiculous system in place.

If Shanghai can have a auto recollect system, I don't see a reason why we cannot do the same!!

Improve

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2007, 11:36:55 PM »

It has always been a world class system.

Our MRT system not up to par
May 21, 2007
I REFER to Mr Wong Boon Hong's letter, 'Visitor-friendly train system in Hong Kong' (ST, May 17).

I agree fully with him that Hong Kong's public transport system is much better than ours.

Even though the system has a longer history, the trains still run efficiently and on time.

During my numerous visits, I never had any problem with sudden train breakdowns such as 'track faults' commonly experienced in Singapore.

The trains come at regular and frequent intervals, unlike our 7- to 9-minute frequency during off-peak periods and five-minute frequency during peak periods.

In addition to the passenger-friendly features mentioned by Mr Wong, I also noticed that Hong Kong's MTR trains do not terminate service abruptly and force passengers to alight and board the next train.

I can say that all these differences are due to the fact that our public transport operators are profit-driven entities.

Being publicly listed, they are answerable to their shareholders, and their main key performance indicator is to increase profits.

Sadly, this comes at the expense of commuters who have to bear the brunt of these selfish actions.

Instead of ensuring we have a good form of transport mode, commuters end up with more travelling time to reach their destinations.

This partly explains why most of my peers who drive refuse to switch to public transport as we are really not up to par with many global cities around the world.

The next time the Government tries to sell our country to foreign investors, maybe it will be a good idea not to mention our public transport system.

This is to prevent any unwanted embarrassment to label ourselves having a 'world-class' transport system when we are still not at that level yet.

Samuel Oh Chee Ooi

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
SanNiang
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

-- 秀才遇到 PIG --

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 07:53:26 AM »

well ... even in the same class .. also got First in class and last in class . .right?? hahahahha

It has always been a world class system.

Our MRT system not up to par
May 21, 2007

This partly explains why most of my peers who drive refuse to switch to public transport as we are really not up to par with many global cities around the world.
- snipped-

Samuel Oh Chee Ooi

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:39:36 AM by Grievous » Logged
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2007, 09:50:09 AM »

The MRT in Shanghai puts me within a few hundred meters of the more regular spots like the Dongfang Mingzhu Tower, Xin Tiandi, The Shanghai Museum etc. The one in Taipei puts me within Hsi-men ting, Shih-lin Night Market, Chung Hsiao East Road Sogo etc within a few hundred meters too.

That's generally the feature of most MRT trains in the world, to put people within a short distance of where they want to go. Only a loser like Alvin Shit would complain that the trains are rickety, filthy etc when it serves its basic function of coming frequently, and putting people as near as where they wanted to go.

What Alvin Shit wouldn't understand, is that Singapore's trains failed one way or the other. Sure, it puts you near City Hall, Orchard, China Town etc. where most people wanted to go. But it doesn't put you anywhere near home for some of the people. A lot of them end up taking the feeder because they had no longer had a straight bus home as it was taken out. And then the freaking train just really doesn't come frequently enough.

And it doesn't matter if the train is just 85% full.  I don't know if it's as bad in other countries but in Taipei and Shanghai I do know a large number of people exits and boards the train at each station, which means seats becomes available every now and then. But in our situation, a lot of people travels a long way out of town to Jurong, Yishun, Woodlands or Pasir Ris... and the freaking train doesn't bloody clear up until it's way out of town. And only then do you get a seat. Now tell me why we aren't complaining that the trains are not coming frequently enough.

MRT trains may be cleaner, but the point is the long waiting time during peak hours
May 26, 2007

I HAVE stayed in Paris for about two years in the past and I agree with Mr Alvin Sim Khim Woon, 'Our MRT better than most other train systems around the world', (Online forum, May 24) that the Parisian subway (or the Metro) trains are old and rickety.

They also feel like an oven in hot summer days since subway trains throughout Europe are not air-conditioned. The age and condition of the Metro trains do depend on which of the 13 or so lines one is travelling on.

Commuters will experience what the Singapore transport authorities coined as 'seamless' mode of transport in Paris.

One can alight from an international train from London, Amsterdam or other major European cities and hop on to the Metro to other destinations in Paris or the suburbs without being exposed to the sun, rain or snow.

Both the Charles de Gaulle Airport terminals are served by the RER (the extension of the Metro which serves the Parisian suburbs), unlike Changi Airport which is only served by the MRT at Terminal 2.

Parisians have the luxury of never having to walk more than 300m to a Metro station. Almost all tourist attractions in Paris and the suburbs are served by the Metro (for example the Louvre museum, d'Orsay museum, Eiffel tower, Notre Dame Cathedral) and the RER (for example, the Paris Disneyland, Versailles, the Stade de France) respectively. And more importantly, waiting time for trains are shorter than the Singapore MRT.

While the Singapore bus companies are still grappling with setting up a system to display bus arrival time at bus stops, those in Paris and Salzburg have already a simple LCD screen displaying bus arrival times.

I think Mr Sim missed the main unhappiness of Singaporean commuters in his letter.

Our trains and stations may be newer, brighter, free of rubbish and graffiti and driver-less.

However, while we do not expect trains to arrive on the dot like in Japan, Switzerland or Germany, I think it is not right that after yearly fare increase despite fat profit margins by the transport companies, commuters have to endure long waiting time during peak hours and even longer ones during non-peak hours.

And when trains do finally arrive, they are crowded and air-conditioning seems to be non-existent in the hot afternoons and evenings. Who will enjoy the sparkingly clean train in such a mood?

Quek York Tong
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:52:16 AM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
SanNiang
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

-- 秀才遇到 PIG --

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2007, 10:06:21 AM »

more or less the same lah .. our trains also few hundred metres : they demand we have enough population within 400m before they will stop by your station ... this is call "people centered" in the SG's world class way  LOL ....

The MRT in Shanghai puts me within a few hundred meters of the more regular spots like the Dongfang Mingzhu Tower, Xin Tiandi, The Shanghai Museum etc. The one in Taipei puts me within Hsi-men ting, Shih-lin Night Market, Chung Hsiao East Road Sogo etc within a few hundred meters too.

That's generally the feature of most MRT trains in the world, to put people within a short distance of where they want to go. Only a loser like Alvin Shit would complain that the trains are rickety, filthy etc when it serves its basic function of coming frequently, and putting people as near as where they wanted to go.

What Alvin Shit wouldn't understand, is that Singapore's trains failed one way or the other. Sure, it puts you near City Hall, Orchard, China Town etc. where most people wanted to go. But it doesn't put you anywhere near home for some of the people. A lot of them end up taking the feeder because they had no longer had a straight bus home as it was taken out. And then the freaking train just really doesn't come frequently enough.

And it doesn't matter if the train is just 85% full.  I don't know if it's as bad in other countries but in Taipei and Shanghai I do know a large number of people exits and boards the train at each station, which means seats becomes available every now and then. But in our situation, a lot of people travels a long way out of town to Jurong, Yishun, Woodlands or Pasir Ris... and the freaking train doesn't bloody clear up until it's way out of town. And only then do you get a seat. Now tell me why we aren't complaining that the trains are not coming frequently enough.

MRT trains may be cleaner, but the point is the long waiting time during peak hours
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »

There used to be a time when the taxi drivers in HK were the most obnoxious in Asia. SARS and the Asian Currency Crisis changed that.

It is time to do something to make Singaporean taxi drivers buck up.

If they think it is hard for them to make a living, here's some news for them...

IT IS ALSO DAMNED F**KING HARD FOR US TO EARN OUR MONEY TOO SO JUST WHO THE HELL SHOULD MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU A**HOLES?!

Anything but easy to get a taxi in Singapore
June 19, 2007

I WAS surprised that all seven taxi operators met standards in a recent service audit, including the ability to answer at least 90 per cent of calls between 8pm and 11pm.

What should be audited is the ease of getting a taxi between these times without having to call an operator. Most visitors, especially tourists, are generally not in a position to call for a taxi.

Almost any regular business visitor from the other Asian cities or anyone who travels overseas regularly will tell you that the taxi service in Singapore, in terms of the ease of getting one, is among the worst in Asia.

Steve Armstrong

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2007, 08:23:03 AM »

NO COMFORT HERE!!! Smiley

Singapore cabbies puzzle HK visitor
June 29, 2007

THE taxi situation in Singapore has reached another low point.

Admittedly, I am spoilt by Hong Kong, where all you need to do is raise your arm and a taxi would stop and the door open, rarely beyond a two-minute wait.

And this is regardless of where you hail a cab.

With the cabbies, it is customer satisfaction first, even if they do not comply with traffic regulations all the time.

In Singapore, not only did I find myself in endless queues on my recent visit, but taxi drivers also kept stopping to ask would-be passengers where they were headed. They would then shake their head and drive off.

Do cabbies take on passengers only if the route is convenient to them?

Who is the customer and who is the one who is supposed to provide a service?

In no other city I know of can a taxi driver reject a customer based on his destination.

I could only shake my head in disbelief.

Michael Gleissner
Hong Kong

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
SanNiang
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

-- 秀才遇到 PIG --

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2007, 10:39:05 AM »

Did I remember correctly that the largest Taxi company here is indirectly held by the NTUC?

NO COMFORT HERE!!! Smiley

Singapore cabbies puzzle HK visitor
June 29, 2007

Who is the customer and who is the one who is supposed to provide a service?

Michael Gleissner
Hong Kong

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:45:48 AM by Grievous » Logged
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2007, 11:47:15 AM »

Nope. Not anymore.

"NTUC Comfort" was first privatised, and it became a listed company.

I think subsequently it was sold to Delgro (which owned SBS). Either that or it merged with Delgro.

I really cannot remember.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: