January 18, 2018, 03:52:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leopold Bloom's Concise Dramatis Persona of Lothy  (Read 10337 times)
Leopold_Bloom
Initiate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2006, 02:22:42 AM »

This is a brief history of characters underpinning "lothy" and its history. For new members of these forums, it will be helpful to have regard to the culture of lothy to appreciate the nature of the posts by the many characters here. Like many BBSes in its time, lothy saw many come and go. This was particularly so in the period of time when the modem connections became prevalent, but just before the Internet Service Providers mass marketed the "information superhighway". It was a time when the BBS was seen as a convenient and superior alternative to ordinary postal correspondence. Although usenet was in existence well before then, in Singapore usenet was not widely utilised for correspondence then. Of the many denizens of lothy who joined and departed, a few were central or, so far as I could see, in control of the direction the discussions were heading. Foremost of these was Celeborn, who created lothy. Of note was also the Inner Circle (which never existed), also known as That Which Does Not Exist.

Celeborn
In the beginning, there was someone known affectionately as Celeborn@Uncle. He was a mac user. He built the BBS, its ANSis, and left his computer on 24/7 on a dedicated telephone line (in those days, a BBS needed a dedicated no.) for everybody's benefit. For reasons unbeknownst to all save the Inner Circle (which did not exist), Celeborn decided one fine day to abandon moderation of Lothy, although he left lothy on for the use of denizens that remained active. Before he decreed his own departure however, Uncle vested level 50 (BBS admin) powers upon "the Inner Circle" (which did not exist) and its constituent members (never formally appointed), and retreated into the confines of his Bukit Timah apartment (iirc). Shortly after his departure, great balls of fire and brimstone descended upon Lothy and flame wars ensued.

Marlboro the Wonder Elf
A being of great power and purpose depicted as a treacherous antagonist during the final flame war which resulted in his suspectedly forced departure from lothy never to return. The Wonder Elf was largely more (in)famous in Lothy in his absence than his presence, for elven riddles and legends abound about the marvels and insidious deeds of the Wonder Elf; these pervaded Lothy well after his departure from its forests. When eventually soc.culture.singapore began its rise, the deeds and battles of the Wonder Elf in scs were oft canvassed by the elves within the forests of lothy. In this sense, the Wonder Elf was oft depicted as the Fallen Elf - one with a descent of Luciferic effect.

Melek Nar Ragitagha
An enforcer of discipline and guardian of principles ever ready to enter the fray of flames for righteousness. Melek was by far the most combative and regimental of the Inner Circle (which did not exist) tasked with the role of maintaining order amongst the elves. This Wing Commander eventually found skinny elves to be poor game, so he sauntered off to the hotbed of soc.culture.singapore to throw down the gauntlet against mightier beings with greater mettle.

Midnight
The dark nocturnal one. Midnight was arguably closest to Celeborn and held the "key" to lothy (which never existed but was used to open its gates whenever "lightning struck"). Midnight also created "Nocturne" a sister BBS themed with the same gothic darkness which he as patron embodied. It was then a time of Magic: the Gathering and a time of the Sandman, and the themes of dark intrigue and fantasy were the hallmark of Midnight who, instead of participating in the great flame wars, nevertheless contributed to the great balls of fire with his gloomy rhetoric. Midnight had his own domain and subjects in a realm beyond lothy and he cared not for paltry elves amongst ditchy forests. Even as the flame wars increased, Midnight saw fit to retreat further into Midnight.

Modeus
Asmodeus, Lord of the Tenth Pit was the ultimate seed of evil in Lothy. He was an exponent of great balls of fire, and often rallied his comrades Melek and Magus to battle whenever he smelt blood. Numerous elves were persecuted by his inquisition, and many more denizens untold suffocated from the smell of his brimstone. Like Melek, Modeus also grew bored of killing elves, and brought his fire and brimstone to soc.culture.singapore in search of greater foes, thus given rise to "The wars of the Modeus" (no relation to his cousin bearing a same name). Now the Tenth Pit, long consigned to the locked and restricted zones of Lothy, appears again in its unmitigated form.

Magus
The powerful mage knowledgeable in obscure aspects of the satirical crafts was an ascerbic correspondent who surveyed discussions with a view to magical intervention. Like Melek and Modeus, Magus was a mighty opponent in any duel and he wielded a two-handed blade called Ockham's Razor which cut its opponents to the chase.

Pathfinder
Very briefly, the good guy. The sole member of the Inner Circle, Pathfinder was, as his name suggested, the true Lightbringer who tried his best to quell the flame wars and reconcile conflicting views. Often he failed, but the attempts had a reassuring effect on the elves. However, Pathfinder departed Lothy early in search of new paths in life to illuminate in distant lands which no language uttered by the fleshtogue can express.

THIRST
But for his romanticism, THIRST could be considered a down to earth elf. But he spent most of his time frolicking with a female elf named Israfel Duillaith and spared not the time for other elven preoccupations.

Illuminatus!
The gravely departed Illumy was the heralded sacrificial lamb of lothy. Little was known about him that the members of the Inner Circle (which did not exist) cared to share. Be that as it may, Illumy figured oft amongst the many songs and lullabys sung by the elves and it is commonly recognised that he disappeared for a mysterious yet sympathetic cause.

Leopold Bloom
As author of this history, the viewpoint is mine, and therefore it is important to describe - Me. I joined lothorien in my search for pirated games from BBSes. Instead I downloaded Bluewave ver 3.12A. I spent my days talking about subjects relating to religion, war and politics, and amused myself writing love poetry to Israfel and other elves. Melek thought me amusing and cared little for a silly poet. However, it was not long before I crossed That Which Did Not Exist and incurred the wrath of Magus and Modeus. Wars ensued, but ended almost as soon as they started, but not before some unknown member of That Which Did Not Exist bequeathed upon me Level 50 powers, whence I became recognised as a member of the Inner Circle, which by that time truly ceased to exist.

The characters above have resurfaced in lothy today, some in different personas, and others under different names. But the underlying schema remains intact, and over time may lothy regain its character as it is already showing...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 03:23:36 AM by Leopold_Bloom » Logged

B          E         L       I        E          V          E
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:59:36 AM »

You missed out Yang Guo and Legolas - The brothers, and Mephistopheles, our dear Anthony. Smiley

Still, this is very well done, my friend, and I have stickied it.

Thank you for signing up, and actively participating. Smiley

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:17:00 AM »

Thank you, Leopold. But I never made an impact in soc.culture.singapore, I have never as good as Grievous. I went to nus.talk.romance instead and that is a better place for an Archdevil.

By the time I graduated, the place was a deserted wasteland.

After nus.talk.romance, I orchestrated the fall of makanplace.org but have always been regular in YPAP where I met folks like Moshedayan and Lai CF. All initial encounters with me are hostile but in conflict is where we learn to respect each other.

Regards

Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 03:18:27 AM »

Got to buy Leopold a drink. "Ultimate seed of evil" sounds so damn good !!!

Regards
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 03:18:56 AM »

Your repeated denials of the existence of the Inner Circle only serve to persuade newcomers to Lothlorien that the (old) Lothlorien Inner Circle did in fact exist.

I was there. It didn't. Ever. Really.

When will you accept the non-existence of the Inner Circle? Which did not exist?
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 05:24:53 AM »

What's the Inner Circle?

Leopold_Bloom
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 06:02:11 AM »

Let me clarify.

The Inner Circle did not, does not and shall not ever exist.

Repeated denials do not lead towards implied affirmation. They simply deny existence.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:04:23 AM by Leopold_Bloom » Logged

B          E         L       I        E          V          E
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 07:00:24 AM »

I get it... like....

There is NO pink rabbit hidding under my bed.
Cheesy

There really isnt!

Seriously.

nocturne
Acolyte

神仙羊肉 (魔/MoG)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 10:41:18 AM »

Ohh, THIRST had the keys to the castle, and was closest to Celeborn, not Midnight. And Midnight did participate in the flame wars. All who came feared 'The Three Ms' - Midnight, Magus and Modeus.

The Three Ms really did exist (though none of the Three ever admitted to it, since that'd imply, you know, that they had to depend on other people). The Inner Circle is but a rumour, and there was no such thing.

This is my collection of the only Chinese words I can read. 一二三四五六七八九東南西北中發
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »

Ohh, THIRST had the keys to the castle, and was closest to Celeborn, not Midnight. And Midnight did participate in the flame wars. All who came feared 'The Three Ms' - Midnight, Magus and Modeus.

The Three Ms really did exist (though none of the Three ever admitted to it, since that'd imply, you know, that they had to depend on other people). The Inner Circle is but a rumour, and there was no such thing.

The myth of the Inner Circle served our purpose of keeping the newly initiated in line. Bwaghahaha... Smiley

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
nocturne
Acolyte

神仙羊肉 (魔/MoG)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 11:20:32 AM »

Haha, since we're walking down memory lane, I did a search for some old posts I saved. I think Leopold wrote this one.

###

LOTHLORIEN'S COLOURFUL HISTORY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lothl

nocturne
Acolyte

神仙羊肉 (魔/MoG)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 11:23:23 AM »

And another blast from the past.

nocturne
Acolyte

神仙羊肉 (魔/MoG)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »

Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 12:56:54 PM »

Ah, blasts from the past.

I'm not the same person I was in the old Lothlorien. Good riddance to that. Still mostly the same, but at least I've changed. It'd be pretty sad if I hadn't changed from when I was twenty.

And thankfully I write posts more than three sentences long on occasion.

Oh, yes. Cheebai.
Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 07:56:24 PM »

That can't possibly be me. He writes too well !!!

Hur hur hur !!!

And another blast from the past.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: