January 18, 2018, 03:47:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Century Eggs  (Read 9367 times)
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2006, 04:55:04 AM »

Talked about century eggs during tea with my colleagues and one of them looked it up and found [url http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/detailed.jsp?artid=3004&type=6&root=3&parent=3&cat=30]this[/url] on the Net.

Excerpts here:

Traditionally, alkalized eggs (or Pidan 皮蛋) century eggs are made by coating duck eggs with wood ash mixed with lime and clay. The eggs are then left to ripen for about a month. Chemical analysis of the coating shows that alkali and alkali earth oxides are the main ingredients in making the century eggs. Production of the century egg involves chemical reactions such as denaturation of proteins, hydrolysis, deamination, decarboxylation and racemisation. In denaturation, the strong alkali disrupts the hydrogen bonds and salt bridges, causing an unfolding of the coiled structure of the protein. Although the peptide bonds are still intact, the biological nature and activity of the protein are destroyed. After denaturation, coagulation takes place, resulting in the hardened egg white and egg yolk. The colour darkens during the ripening period. Hydrogen sulphide and ammonia gases are often evolved during the production of century eggs. This is due to the decomposition of the macromolecules into smaller protein units by the alkali (hydrolysis and deamination reactions).

That puts to rest the myth that century eggs are made by soaking them in horse urine.

---
The following is the process of making century eggs according to this blog post.

1. Preparing the pickling solution:

* Water 1L
    * Sodium chloride(NaCl) 72g
    * Sodium hydroxide(NaOH) 42g

Dissolve the NaCl and NaOH completely in water. Bring the solution to a boil and allow it to cool down before use.

2. Submerge the eggs in the saline solution, and store at 15 to 20oC for about 10 days.

3. Pick out the pickled eggs and rinse them. Then allow them to dry naturally.

4. Coat with PVA (polyvinyl acetate) or some other non-ventilated packaging material. An alternative is to add red soil to the saline solution after the pickled eggs are removed. Coat the eggs with the mud, and roll them in rice husk. Age for about 2 weeks.

5. Crack the eggs lightly and remove the shell. The white of the egg will have a grayish, translucent color, and a gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a grayish-green color.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:09:03 AM »

Maybe they do taste better with urine.

I'm sure people really did use urine at one point of time.
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:03:45 PM »

Maybe they do taste better with urine.

I'm sure people really did use urine at one point of time.

Hmm.. maybe you can try that out, and then eat them and let us know how much better it tastes compared to the 'non-urine' types. Tongue

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Shadow Moon
Initiate

Grasshopper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:50:31 PM »

the biological nature of the protein is destroyed? That means there is no nutritional value to all the century eegs I have dumped into my pi dan zhou? no!!!
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:27:46 PM »

the biological nature of the protein is destroyed? That means there is no nutritional value to all the century eegs I have dumped into my pi dan zhou? no!!!

It probably becomes some other stuff which our body can use. Smiley

I mean, if a Mongoose can eat a Cobra, poison sacs and all, then whatever the destroyed protein becomes, our body probably can absorb and make use of.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 01:33:57 AM »

Just because the protein bonds are destroyed doesn't mean that there's no nutritional value...
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »

just because cum has protein, we don't get nutrients fom eating it either Cheesy
hehehehehehe

dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 12:37:45 AM »

That, is one thing I definitely don't wanna find out.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 02:07:01 AM »

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1585.html

Make of that what you will.
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 02:07:33 AM »

Aiyah, that's a cheap trick ahbengs tell little girls... so that they will swallow.

I read from teenage magazine one...
lol

dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 05:22:22 AM »

Just looking through this thread again and one of my colleagues asked me...

" Wah piang.. black and hard one (century egg) become liquid and white one (semen / sperm).

Related meh? "

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: