January 18, 2018, 03:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENTS  (Read 9118 times)
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2006, 12:11:46 AM »

Yes. If you have something you want to share with us, please go ahead.

The only thing you need to avoid are (in case you didn't read the house rules thread):

1) The things which breaks the law. For e.g. where to get illegal duty free cigarettes. Information on  backdoor on a shopping center somewhere allowing to go in to a particular shop to steal the goods.

This will also cover software and songs piracy. If you need to provide information on where to get 'free' (i.e. pirated) software and songs, and you have done it in private, there's really nothing much I can do about it, since I CANNOT read your private messages <PM>. However, if it come to the attention of the authorities that certain individuals are abusing the PM function to do so, and I am required to turn over any information of these individuals ((ip addresses captured by the software when you logged on) ), I WILL cooperate with the law and provide whatever information needed to prevent the forum from being shut down. It doesn't matter if we have been friends for a long time.

Needless to say, you will be smitten by Thor (i.e. locked out)!

Thus, please do not use this forum as an avenue to exchange or provide such things.

2) I will close a blind eye to vulgarities used sparingly. For e.g. when it is used to emphasize the point or directed at objects  - I don't give a flying f*ck; this f*cking thing -; or just a short KNN.

OTOH, there will be a warning for excessive usage of vulgarities. If the warning is not heeded, the post and the poster will be banished to Shelob's Lair for seven days, where he can scream all he likes. I will not allow people to harass another poster, and/or offend the already few female posters on this forum.

Repeated offenders will be smitten.

3) Libellious comments against people (especially political figures, or the rich and famous). You know what they are and I don't need to make one to show you. If you don't know, get hold of a copy of the SDP party newsletter published around the time of previous Elections.

We also have a few lawyers here and when they tell you it is libellious, then you jolly well take it down on your own. If you don't, I will have to take it down myself and I'll have to kick your ass (i.e. 'smite' you) for that.

4) Hate posts. Comments directed at people of certain sexual orientation, racial group or religious beliefs are definitely out. Whether it was made in jest, or out of contempt and hatred, it doesn't matter. There will be one warning, and if it is not heeded in 24 hours, you will simply be smitten by Thor (i.e. locked out).

5) Meaningless banter.

• Quoting an entire post from the previous user, and then replying with a single word comment or just a few smileys is a waste of bandwidth. I can tolerate a single line reply when it's on topic, but please don't quote the entire post with it just to shower us with that pearl of wisdom!
  • Excessive use of smileys in a post as a 'demonstration of creativity'. Such a post will be deleted without warning.
  • Excessive use of SPACES. i.e. a posts of a few lines are made to look like a long one, wasting valuable time in scrolling. The spaces will be EDITED out of the post.

6) In general, please also avoid typing in SMS jargon.

'I dun lyk 2 read shits lyk dis. Not 29, not any 9.'

Geddit? IMO, that's a complete lack of respect to your own readers or your targetted recipient. There is a 20,000 character limit per post so you can stop trying to squeeze your message into one post.

If you think this your style, fine. When there's any flame wars as a result of such bad English - should I even call that English?! - don't come screaming to me or my moderators (the guys with the Precentor Martial / Precentor ROM moniker under their moniker) to take action. You deserved it.

7. Also, if your KeYboARd's CaPsLOcK or sHiFT kEYs can selectively malfunction, it is f*cking irritating. Thanks to China, there are new generic 104-key keyboards in the millions a year. A new one only cost $6 - $8 at Sim Lim Square, or even Funan or Carrefour.

So, if you have a keyboard problem, get a new keyboard.

Or just grow up. This is not creativity, it is an irritating habit of immature juveniles.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:33:25 PM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:44:25 AM »

Let me just make this clear.

These rules are not there as a justification to remove a post (or to ban someone), but to serve as a guideline to make participating in Lothlorien an enjoyable experience for everyone.

Between Pip (the global moderator) and I, and Modeus (who moderates the Tenth Pit), there is a consensus not to delete postings from the forum without consulting one another. After all, the possibility of a flame war breaking out, or a miscreant creating trouble on this forum is remote as most of the registered posters here are working professionals and young adults, and most of us at least know one or more persons who were previously members of the Lothlorien BBS.

It will displease some when either one of us deletes a post or locks out someone. And if the forum falls apart because of that, I will just close it down. I may feel a little miserable for a few days for the wasted effort, but then no one appeared to miss the old Lothy badly when it died back about a decade back.

Above which, I am no stranger to failures anyway.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:15:02 AM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:01:06 PM »

NOTICE:

Threads (except the 'stickied' ones) that are inactive for 30 days will be automatically wiped from the system.

This is done to keep the database small since I do not own any of the hard disk space on the server.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:03:29 PM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 10:19:12 PM »

NOTICE (SYSTEM 'IMPROVEMENTS')

'Ignore User' Feature implemented.

The power of censorship in now in your own hands.

If you choose to read someone who offends you, that is your own blasted problem.

To place someone on ignore, just click on "Profile", and then "Ignore user options". Once you place someone in the list, you will not be able to read the content of the post from the user. Although you will still notice that the user has made a post, it will simply read "The user is currently ignored."

I am currently looking to the mods available to SMF and will implement those I deem necessary.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
shyuechou
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:22:32 PM »

Great, this is an excellent feature. I was looking for it a few nights ago and was puzzled not to see it.

GREATLY APPRECIATED!  Grin
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 04:30:17 AM »

Excellent! I can see this one getting put to use straight away... Cool

I do think though that I don't like the idea of wiping stale threads. Part of the charm of any bulletin board is reading the old threads, and I don't see how much space the old threads can really take up. Could you reconsider this?
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 04:45:59 AM »

Excellent! I can see this one getting put to use straight away... Cool

I do think though that I don't like the idea of wiping stale threads. Part of the charm of any bulletin board is reading the old threads, and I don't see how much space the old threads can really take up. Could you reconsider this?

I noticed that the Bible doesn't even taken up more than 1.44 MB of space. I will reconsider this.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
shyuechou
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:47:48 AM »

Excellent! I was going to ask but I thought you wouldn't be too happy. Well, if there are storage costs ultimately, do let me know.
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 05:15:57 AM »

Thanks very much! I think this will make quite a difference to the longevity of the board -- when you can dip into old posts, there's a lot more history in the board.
shyuechou
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 08:14:07 PM »

With a very useful ignore-list and other features, this forum is better than ever. Thanks for the effort and taking the initiative to set this up. Smiley
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 09:18:34 PM »

NOTICE: MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS

I have noticed that several accounts are coming from the same IP address.

If you have friends in your office signing on, have them announce themselves. Otherwise this will be considered same accounts coming off the same person and they will be removed by 23:59 everyday.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:20:40 PM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »

NOTICE:

1) NEW MODERATORS

Magus and rainforest are now officially the universal moderators of Lothy, in addition to Pip and Modeus. Please give them your support.

Magus, I know you probably didn't care or wanted to be a moderator, but you are a definitely a fairer guy than I am.

Rainforest is a friend of mine. She is also the owner of the server hosting this site. If she decides that anything is offensive, and removes it, the decision is final and don't come screaming to me.

2) THEMES

The original forum themes are now available. They are all in the original form and are not very modified. Members now have 3 other themes to choose from if this current theme is found to be too gloomy or dark.

I will be making minor modifications to them to remove the 'SMF' or 'Simple Machines' jpgs over the weekend.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Magus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 02:04:37 PM »

You're right -- I don't care or want to be a moderator. But if you want me to, I'll do it as long as I'm here.

Can moderators be set to be ignored? If not, no wonder my ignore settings aren't working...
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 10:27:10 AM »

You're right -- I don't care or want to be a moderator. But if you want me to, I'll do it as long as I'm here.

Can moderators be set to be ignored? If not, no wonder my ignore settings aren't working...

I just noticed that there is a setting that allows the ignoring of moderators and administrators.

I have thus turned it on. Try it out and let me know.

Non-Moderators ignore us at your own risk... bwaghahahaha...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 10:30:34 AM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 10:35:15 PM »

*** NEW SECTION ADDED ***

Silicon Glen - The Ladies Section

*** RANK CHANGES ***

Some of you may have discovered you are 'demoted' but it is not. I have changed the post ranking system.

Acolyte -> Initiate
Adept -> Acolyte
Demi-Precentor -> Adept
Precentor -> Demi-Precentor
First Circult -> Precentor

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: