January 21, 2018, 08:14:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am unhappy ?  (Read 7780 times)
Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2006, 04:38:15 AM »

While we examine the many reasons why Singaporeans are unhappy, it helps to explain why I am unhappy. For people who have stable careers and are in the process of setting up families and following what Colin Goh calls the Singapore Plan, there's not much to be unhappy about.

Here's my attempts at finding out why I am unhappy :

I think the primary cause of unhappiness for me is to quietly watch the gentle noetic disintegration of the people around me and wondering when I will join their ranks. I've practically lost my University buddies ( not through my trolling, mind you. ) when everyone got a job and started settling down. I did lose quite a few who used to incessantly try to measure up their own professional achievements with others, yup, I know who they are. Last year I lost more friends than all my other years ( even compared to the bad old lothlorien days, I still lost more friends ) because I became published and had my short 6 seconds of fame,  the rest I lost them because they started their own families.

Mind you, we still hang out now and then but good conversation has become impossible. Social commentary sprinkled with philosophical discourse is now replaced with HDB housing loans and choice of car mortgages.

I think if anything, english speaking Singaporeans loath losing their childlike state and want to keep things status quo forever, but things are not meant to be because people grow up and become adults who will be more interested in material goods than exchanging ideas.

dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:43:01 AM »

I am unhappy because... in 3 simple words...

MONEY NO ENOUGH.

And when you money no enough, then many other things also no enough.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 04:46:53 AM by Grievous » Logged

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:00:42 AM »

You can accumulate money with discipline and guile. But you cannot change or even slow down the evolution of your peers.

Regards
Leopold_Bloom
Initiate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:45:57 AM »

unhappiness is begotten from unmet desires.

therefore control your desires and seek contentment.

Personally, I am unhappy because ... I desire without objective. Thats even worse coz I cannot find contentment.

B          E         L       I        E          V          E
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:54:36 AM »

You can accumulate money with discipline and guile. But you cannot change or even slow down the evolution of your peers.

Regards

Evolve with them. Everyone complains how they lose friends when their friends gets attached or married. It's life.
Are you sure your unhappines stems from you losing friends? Were these all close friends of yours in the first place? If you want to have intelligent conversations you can always get GREVIOUS go talk cock with you.

Go get a girlfriend and your life might be better Smiley

nocturne
Acolyte

神仙羊肉 (魔/MoG)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »

I am unhappy because I have an Xbox, a PS2, an Internet connection, lots of books, friends and a girlfriend. Really, there just isn't enough time. Just thinking about choosing one and neglecting the others causes me such deep sadness that it bothers on the tragic.

Somedays, I just lie in bed, not bothering to wake up, forstalling the inevitable decision I'd have to make.

Life is so harsh.

This is my collection of the only Chinese words I can read. 一二三四五六七八九東南西北中發
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 02:09:21 AM »

I'm unhappy because I MISS SINGAPORE FOOD!
I'm unhappy cause I don't feel adequately prepared for my exams...
I'm unhappy because I didn't get to go to the snow mountains in Australia!
I'm unhappy cause I dont have enough money!!!

Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 04:20:16 AM »

They were close friends but as we get to the corporate world, things change. One lady just had a wedding and only two of us attended.

People who can have intelligent conversations with are dwindling. I consider myself lucky as I still play D&D so I still get to plug into the network to find other folks who think alike.  There is also a philosphy cafe where I hang out every month ( In Singapore !!! ). I still hang out with THIRST and his buddy Grey, so it's not an issue.

It's funny, I have a girlfriend of 2 years, we speak mandarin with each other os it's hardly what people expect of a Lothlorienite. Hehe !

Life is'nt better with a girlfriend lah. I get nagged or scolded a lot.

Miss the days when I was single and unattached.

Regards

Regards

Evolve with them. Everyone complains how they lose friends when their friends gets attached or married. It's life.
Are you sure your unhappines stems from you losing friends? Were these all close friends of yours in the first place? If you want to have intelligent conversations you can always get GREVIOUS go talk cock with you.

Go get a girlfriend and your life might be better Smiley

dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 04:23:20 AM »

You hang out a lot with JF?

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Modeus
ROM
Acolyte

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 04:28:25 AM »

Well, a lot is relative, sometimes, Grey and him will contact me and hand out free movie tixs. ( Like tomorrow for instance. ) THIRST showed up when I was giving a finance talk in NLB, even helped introduce me.

He's a good fella and should come back.

We talk about Lothy and history a lot.

And we talk about Israfel sometimes too ! Wink ( Now that's something we HAD in common ! )

Regards
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:35:18 AM »

Should get them to come back.

I have decided to adopt a hands off approach to this thing.

I don't foresee a need to moderate or remove postings since we are all matured people and I doubt anyone will make commetns like those few idiots who are charged with sedition. Above which, all the people here are friends of one or more former Lothlorienites and thus I am optimistic any differences can be easily straightened out through mediation.

And I'll have faith in my friends to deal with their friends which I didn't know.  Smiley

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
priss
Acolyte

Singapore Singapore

nocturne's whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 04:53:23 AM »

They were close friends but as we get to the corporate world, things change. One lady just had a wedding and only two of us attended.

People who can have intelligent conversations with are dwindling. I consider myself lucky as I still play D&D so I still get to plug into the network to find other folks who think alike.  There is also a philosphy cafe where I hang out every month ( In Singapore !!! ). I still hang out with THIRST and his buddy Grey, so it's not an issue.

It's funny, I have a girlfriend of 2 years, we speak mandarin with each other os it's hardly what people expect of a Lothlorienite. Hehe !

Life is'nt better with a girlfriend lah. I get nagged or scolded a lot.

Miss the days when I was single and unattached.

Regards

Hey cool, I like philosophy too. nocturne thinks it's a waste of time though  Undecided

AND ITS WEIRD U SPEAK MANDARIN TO UR GF! I mean, if you can converse well in mandarin then it's not so weird, but since I don't know you well... ah well..

You do mean you miss the days when you were single and unattached, and so were your mates? Since if you're single, but your friends are all married... the same problem applies?

I think having a companion takes the load off alot of things. I whine and bitch about problems to my boyfriend, and he does to me too. I can hug him when I'm feeling happy or sad. We have lots of fun conversations when we're feeling boliaoz.  Maybe it's because I'm young? I like to romanticise the idea of a relationship.. but nevertheless, my bf rox.
Smiley

Anyway, your friends have their own family problems, financial problems etc. etc. Which, to them, is probably significantly more important than talking to you I suppose?  So can't really blame them also.

I've only got like maybe.. 3-4 close friends that I can talk to. But everything's fine Smiley

dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 07:59:29 AM »

I forgot to mention I am also not happy because of a stupid company policy in which staff promotion will now have to go through a committee and if there's just ONE objection to your promotion, you are f*cked. Above which, if you happened to be just another back office staff working your ass off and you don't play golf with the traders or carry balls and network all around, the committee (consisting of department heads) probably have no idea who you are and will vote you down for promotion.

Simply put, it's a damned bloody stupid system whereby the bullshitters and the star actors gets promoted while people doing the real work will continue not to get their acclaim and recognition. And what makes it even worse is that when people are aware of your existence, they don't even recognise all the hard work you have done for ages, but simply write f*ck type inconsiderate emails to your regional head, bypassing even your local head even when you have done all you need to do for a particular incident.

Did I also mention that the appraisal system of my company is FLAWED because even if your colleagues can say you are damned good and your direct boss didn't like you and give you a f*ck type assessment, you are f*cked?

Above which, I definitely didn't shag enough. And I keep losing money on the blasted NYSE because of blasted Barnie's (Bernanke) big mouth.

Yes. I am not only unhappy. I am definitely MISERABLE.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
nocturne
Acolyte

神仙羊肉 (魔/MoG)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 08:15:10 AM »

That sounds like army to me.

This is my collection of the only Chinese words I can read. 一二三四五六七八九東南西北中發
dapengmingwang
Primus
Demi Precentor

Singapore Singapore

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »

Oh yes. Army. Got stupid dress code even.

Shirt and tie, you know?

I can't imagine myself move around with a dusty computer wearing a tie... crawl under my desk wearing a tie... climb onto the desk to try and remove a screen mounted on a pole wearing a tie.

And guess what? I didn't bother. I'll bring a tie and put in my pocket. I am just another technician and I WILL dress like a technician.

After all, nothing in the stupid mail says I must wear it 'at all times' or 'should not take it off'.

我終於知道曲終人散的寂寞 只有傷心人才有...
Blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: